Finding Blogs in LexisNexis Academic
One of the easiest ways to find and search blogs is on the All News search form. As you can see in the image to the right, simply select "Blog and Web Publications" from the Select Sources drop-down box. That source will search:
- Newstex Blogs
- Web Publications, Combined
There are over 3,000 Newstex blogs included in LexisNexis Academic. On topics such as:
- Business and Industry
After you've selected the "Blog and Web Publications" Source, use the boxes at top of the form to narrow your search. For example, if you wanted to read a blog about political views on global warming, you would type "Global Warming" in the first box and select "in Subject Terms" from the drop-down box. In the next box, type "Politics" or perhaps a specific politician's name. If you want recent results, it's important to specify a date range, as well. Select "Previous Month" from the drop-down box for an excellent search.
Social Media and Haiti
Social Networking has played a major role in the Haiti relief effort. Many charitable organizations have set up donation points from text messaging services, facebook, etc. To keep up with all of the latest news, sometimes blogs are the most reliable, if not the most frequently updated sources. Learn about how Social Media helped with Haiti by following this search:
- Select Blog and Web Publications from the "Select Sources" drop-down
- Narrow your date range. In this example, Previous 3 months is chosen. As time passes, you may want to enter a more specific period of time.
- In the "Search For" section, type Haiti in the first box
- Choose the At Least 5 Occurences option
- Type "Social Media" or "Text Messages" or "Social Networking" in the second box provided. Leave the default set to Everywhere.